Friday, January 13, 2017

June's Optimism

Josh and I were going on a date. I was trying to shove food down my kid's throat before my niece Carly was going to be here to babysit. June was having trouble eating the ham and bean soup tonight (even though she liked it 2 weeks ago when I made it for the first time... sigh...).

Sour face after sour face as she acted like she was gagging her soup down, I told June sternly, 

"June, please eat this soup! You need to be grateful for what you have! Some kids don't even have food to eat! Can you please be grateful!? 

June sat there for a second and then replied with a HUGE smile, "YES MOM! I will be THANKFUL FOR WHAT I HAVE! I will eat this food even though I don't like it very much!"

My eyes grew 3 sizes and wondered where in the world where this optimism came from!?

 I squealed and hugged her! I said, "YES JUNE! YES! ALWAYS THINK THAT! Promise me you will always think that!"

She promised she would always be thankful for her food even though she didn't like some things I made.

My niece Carly wrote on Facebook later that evening of the experience she had with June while we were gone:

"Tonight before I put my two little cousins, June and Connor, to bed, June gave a family prayer. In it she said, "We are grateful for all of the wonderful people you created and put on this earth, even if they don't like to read your lovely scriptures. We are thankful for the food you put on the world, even if we don't like to eat some of it." It made me laugh and I am very grateful for a 6 year old cousin who sees the bright side of things and how much of a grateful heart she has."


I love our sweet girl!



No comments:

Post a Comment