Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Eating life one bite at a time

This afternoon I was making about 100 small cookies for a big youth activity my husband was involved with. I decided to make the cookies during nap time. 
June loves to help me and just watch in the kitchen. It's always fun to have a little friend to cook with. 
When the cookies were done and nap time was over, I called both kids up to the kitchen to have their cookies. Connor immediately took his cookie and ate it whole. In one bite it was gone. I don't think he even tasted it. Then June took the cookie, ate a small bite and asked if she could save the rest for later.
I was shocked for a second at her request but then I said, yes. 
She later came up and ate the rest of her cookie and spoke of how good it was. Connor was mad at himself and asked for another cookie. The cookies were gone to the activity by then and a few tears were shed because he hadn't taken the time to "portion out" his cookie.

I found this little scenario interesting and likened it to life in general. 
Sometimes we want to take a million projects on all at once, and don't realize our growth in the process.
Life can be overwhelming in itself, but taken step by step can be beautiful and in this case, delicious.

I feel as a mother, I have to do a million things at once, groceries, laundry, preschool, church, cooking, dishes, playing with kids and more. It's a lot to swallow. 

I love the phrase, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."
(My dad once told me that when he caught me in one of my long tangents of lists of 'to-do's')

Yes, there are day's where we will eat the whole cookie and just swallow without tasting it. But if we work on taking one bite at a time and portioning out our life, we will be able to taste the flavor and relish the sweet taste of the little things in life. 

Preschool day's and childhood in general are passing faster than I ever imagined. I know all too soon they will be gone forever. If I could portion out my chores and spend more time with what is REALLY important I will taste the sweetness and recognize the growth of body and spirit. 

Eating life one bite at a time. 
___________________________________________

This can also be likened to scripture study.

When we read 10 chapters of the scriptures all in one day, did we really taste them? Did we feel our spirits change? When we read the words of God, we need to study them, liken them to ourselves. Ponder and make a change in our lives to be better today than we were yesterday. 

Portioning out the scriptures and taking them one bite at a time, helps us grow and develop into the person our Father in Heaven wants us to be.

I love to read the scriptures and find a verse or two that really strike me. I write them down or type them up and keep them in a place I can see often. I re read them and try to apply them to myself. 

I'm thankful for the scriptures in my life and how they help me grow. They are truly delicious!
_________________________________

Motherhood Memory #3
(My baby girl smiling at my smile)


No comments:

Post a Comment