Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Following a prompting

I've been asked a few times for various reasons such as talks or lessons on the Holy Ghost; "When have you felt and heeded a prompting of the Holy Ghost?"

I have to be honest, I feel the spirit and follow His guidance daily. Most people chalk it up to, "just a thought" or "I had an idea," but I know that the Holy Ghost is the one who is directing my path. It's my choice to choose whether I follow His guidance and change my actions or choose a different route for my day. A couple occasions come to mind to describe my simple promptings that seem small at the moment but can EASILY turn into something big. One happened about 5 years ago and one happened today.

----------------------------------------

We were living on an Air Force Base and the winters were long and hard. Our daughter was about 1 month old, and I felt like I had a handle on schedules with feeding and naps. (When you're a new mom it takes a while to get it figured out) I was getting cabin fever BAD.  I thought, "Just an outing to the grocery store would get me out of the small confines of base housing and do me some good." I bundled up June, prepared any extras I might need in my diaper bag and we hopped in the car for a small excursion. It had snowed all night but had stopped that morning. The roads seemed plowed and fine, but the air was BITTER cold and seemed frozen in place. As we drove 100 yards away from our home, I got the distinct impression to turn around. I had "thoughts" enter my head like, "the roads look slick up ahead, you don't NEED to go to the store, you can go another time." "Is your cabin fever really as bad as risking a car wreck with your new child?"
This was my moment.
I had always wanted DISTINCT spiritual experiences that I had chosen to follow the promptings of the spirit, but I felt like they never came. Most stories I had ever heard ended badly and the person relating the story WISHED they had listened to the spirit. Was I about to have a BAD spiritual prompting story if I didn't turn around? 
I didn't want to take that risk. I took this as a DIRECT prompting of the Holy Ghost and turned around. I unloaded my priceless precious cargo - our beautiful daughter, and held her tight in the safety of our home. I felt good about my decision. I didn't know what could have happened if I had stayed on the road 20 more feet or 2 more miles, but I was confident that I had felt the spirit and heeded the prompting to stay safe and not risk anything that could turn nothing into something.

----------------------------------------

Today our daughter is 5 and our son in 3. My June and I like to make crafts while Connor takes his afternoon nap. I was cutting paper on my mom's large paper cutter. (The one that looks like a block with an attached knife on the side- you've seen the industrial type) I explained to June that this was VERY SHARP and to never touch it. It can cut off your finger and hurt you VERY BADLY. She is VERY good about taking directions and following them. 
Connor however was asleep while I gave this instruction. He's a little more curious, and presses buttons because they blink (Power buttons on computers while you're in the middle of typing an important document), and touches things because they are red (microwave buttons, phones and more).
The large paper cutter has been out, perfectly untouched by my sweet children, and of course perfectly at their level of use if wanted.  It has been out for 1 day and hasn't been touched. I had almost forgotten it was there. I had just put the kids to bed and started to tidy up their play room. (Note to self: I've gotta get better at making THEM pick up THEIR mess before bed)
As I finished tidying up their toys I glanced over and saw the large paper cutter untouched since the day before. A moment of thankfulness came to me because I remembered I hadn't told my curious 3 year old about the danger of the blade. I thought, "He didn't touch it, so I can just leave it there instead of walking all the way down the hallway and put it back in the storage room where it first resided." I had another thought.... "Don't test your luck, he might try it out tomorrow." 
This was my moment.
It may seem silly to most, comparing the Holy Ghost to such a simple thing as putting away a paper cutter, but to me, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass." (Alma 37:6)
ANYTHING small can become big with no time to react. Something small like a "thought" to move the paper cutter away from small hands reach can keep my child's fingers attached to his hand. Small movement to keep from a big consequence.

A small 'thought' or a small prompting, can bring you great gratitude for your Father in Heaven.
Realizing that you have a greater being in by your side makes your decisions in life much more meaningful.

I'm thankful for the Holy Ghost in my life. I've learned to give Him the credit instead of leaning unto my own knowledge and understanding. He knows the outcome of any situation and he knows how to help me prevent disasters great or small and keep me and my family safe.

To learn more about the Holy Ghost and more testimonies about having spiritual direction in your life click the link below.

https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng

I love taking pictures. I took these on a frozen morning on the base we were stationed at. I LOVE frosted trees like this! It does't happen often, but when it does, it takes my breath away. Oh how beautiful the world that our Father in Heaven has made.




No comments:

Post a Comment