Monday, January 4, 2016

What's a Testimony?

Yesterday was Fast and Testimony meeting.

My daughter June (5) was coloring a picture on the pew right next to me. The first sister finished her testimony and sat down.
June looked up at me and said, "Was that a prayer mom?"
I said, "No, honey that was a testimony."
June, "What's a testimony?"
I hadn't thought of the literal definition of a testimony in a long time. So I thought for a second, and said, "A testimony is when you share things you know are true."
June then asked, "How do you know when things are true?"
Oh wow, my 5 year old daughter is getting into some pretty deep questions for a 5 year old.
I said, "You pray and listen to the Holy Ghost to know if things are true. And you get a good feeling inside, and you remember that feeling forever."
I tried to make it as simple as I possible so she could understand it.
She seemed satisfied with my answer and went back to coloring.
(I now know that our Family Home Evening will be on testimonies tonight.)

As I sat there thinking about the questions June asked me, I started to ponder on my own testimony. A young woman got up and bore her testimony on being kind. She said that she has had a boy in school that has always criticized her and her friends for being LDS. She wanted to know how to be strong when he came against them in school. She said she had always struggled with reading her scriptures every day and that she had now started. She read them everyday and was saying her prayers every morning and night. She bore testimony of how her heart has changed with her feelings towards that boy and how she has felt the spirit more in her life. It was a beautiful testimony.

An older woman in the ward stood up in Relief Society and bore her testimony. She started by saying, "They say, if you don't share your testimony you will lose it, and I don't want to lose it, it's one of my greatest treasures."

That really struck me. I need to share my testimony more with others so I won't lose it. I know that my testimony is strengthened when I hear others bear witness of things I also know to be true. I feel like they are building me up for another month. I need to be a builder who build's others' testimonies as well.

I came home with a wonderful spirit and a feeling of strength. I kept thinking about the importance of the scriptures in my life and how they have blessed me. You can't have a testimony of the scriptures by not reading them. You have to read them, pray about the things you read, and think about them constantly. I think that's why I love to print off scriptures and have them around my home. I feel a constant strength when I read certain scriptures over and over again. I love the Bible and I love the Book of Mormon. They work hand in hand with each other. They both witness and testify of our Savior Jesus Christ.

I am grateful for the commandments in my life. They give me guidelines to stand by and keep me safe from harm. Many may think that commandments keep you from having "fun," but in reality, they are there to keep us safe. If you know the commandments and know the suffering that comes from breaking them, you will see them as a protection as well. Not only are you accountable for your actions today with the law but you are accountable to a higher law. Someone is always watching you, ALWAYS. The commandments and covenants we make with our Father in Heaven keeps us accountable for our actions. If we aren't accountable for the mistakes we make then we are digressing in our path to eternal life. I am truly thankful for the gospel in my life and for the guidance and direction it gives me to constantly better myself everyday.

If you want more information of amazing testimonies here is a link to talks, scriptures, videos and music that can help EVERYONE!
www.lds.org

(My all time favorite scripture that I keep framed in my home.)



No comments:

Post a Comment